HOUSTON – The 2015 Hilltopper football season was a stellar year for the team and individual players and the Houston Touchdown Club, fans and parents honored those achievements at their annual banquet.
“Every year and every team is different but this was a special bunch,” said Houston football coach William Cook. “They accomplished a lot and we want to celebrate that.”
The Houston Touchdown Club then presented trophies, plaques and certificates to more than two dozen Houston High School football players, cheerleaders and managers.
The crowd was treated to a steak dinner and watched 2015 playoff highlights prior to the awards ceremony. Tables were decorated in green grid-iron tablecloths and red, white, gray and black balloons. The 2015 Hilltopper football team went 9-5 on the season and made it to the third round of the MHSAA Playoffs.
“As we ended up the season in the playoffs we talked to the team about how we had accomplished our goals,” said Cook. “We won the Battle of the Creek, we made it to the playoffs and we had a winning year.
“But we want that to be normal around here and expected,” said Cook. “These athletes pushed this program in the right direction this year and now we want to go farther.”
The following 2015 Houston Hilltopper Football Awards and winners were:
• Offensive Most Valuable Player – Urriah Shephard.
• Defensive Most Valuable Player (tie) – Johnta Walker.
• Defensive Most Valuable Player (tie) – Denver McQuary.
• Most Outstanding Special Team Player – Wes Parker.
• Most Outstanding Offensive Back – Taylor Baskin.
• Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman – J.J. Brownlee.
• Most Outstanding Defensive Lineman – Johnta Walker.
• Most Outstanding Wide Receiver – Denver McQuary.
• Most Outstanding Linebacker – Tanner Bullock.
• Most Outstanding Defensive Back – Denver McQuary.
• Most Outstanding Scout Team Player Defense – Jerry Bean.
• Most Outstanding Scout Team Player Offense – Josh Wright.
• Most Improved Offensive Lineman – Jackson Whitt.
• Most Improved Defensive Lineman – Omario Johnson.
• Most Improved Offensive Back – Quenton May.
• Most Improved Wide Receiver – Charles Spencer.
• Most Improved Linebacker – Luke Hancock.
• Most Improved Defensive Back – Jalon Gates.
• “Bones” Award – Johnta Walker.
• Guts Award – J.J. Brownlee.
• Todd Hardin Award – Denver McQuary.
• Hilltopper Awards – Denver McQuary, J.J. Brownlee, Tay Bowden, Kevonte Marble, Lamar McAllister.
• Student Athlete Awards – Charlie Hopson, Trey Griggs and Charles Spencer.
• Hilltopper Spirit Award – Ty Cook.