OKOLONA – The Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board set its May 9 meeting to recognize the boys basketball team and coaches for an outstanding season. During the April meeting, trustees also accepted several resignations, and appointed several replacements to the departing personnel.
The School Board will formally meet at 6 p.m. May 9, in the Okolona High School cafeteria to recognize retiring faculty and staff and the Okolona boys basketball team and coaches.
Retiring faculty and the team will receive special school board awards. The attire for this program is semi-formal. Dinner will be served.
The board approved a performance plan agreement to pay basketball coach Arteria Clifton $1,000 for winning 24 or more basketball games during the 2017 basketball season. The Okolona High School boys basketball team finished the season with a 29-2 record.
Trustees also approved licensed and classified staff recommendations for the 2017-18 school year as submitted by Principal Sandra Murray at Okolona Elementary.
Trustees aproved licensed and classified staff recommendations for 2017-18 school year as submitted by Dr. Christopher Hill, Principal at Okolona High School.
The board approved licensed and classified staff for 2017-18 school year as submitted by Amy Anderson, Director at Okolona Vocational Center.
The board approved cafeteria staff recommendations for 2017-18 as submitted by Cindy Peden-Moore, Food Service Manager.
Trustees approved school bus recommendations for 2017-18 school year as submitted by Jason Pickens, Transportation Director.
They also approved OMSSD personnel for 2017-2018 school year.
The board accepted a resignation/retirement letter from Amy Anderson effective June 30, 2017.
Trustees also accepted letters of resignation from Valerie Jackson, Kim Brown Janice Northington and Leah Huerkamp effective June 30.
Trustees approved Tammy S. Pointer as a teacher at Okolona Elementary for 2017-18, replacing Valerie Jackson, and Kayla Davidson as a teacher at Okolona Elementary for 2017-18, replacing Janice Northington.
The board also approved Jarvis Brumby as the custodian for Saturday School at Okolona Elementary and Okolona High School at $11.25 per hour for a total of 6 hours for 6 weeks, totaling $405.
In other business:
• Accepted a financing quote from De Landen Financial Services Inc. for new phone system with 4.33-percent fixed interest rate for 48 months totaling $1,133.48.
• Accepted a quote from Timmons Electric of Tupelo to replace and install new exits/emergency lights and repair lighting throughout Okolona High School for $3,429.
• Invited the comunity to attend the Okolona High School Band Concert at 6:30 p.m. April 28, at the gymnasium.
• Approved an application for the use of public school facilities and equipment to Denise Crape with Fresh Start on April 22 at the Okolona Elementary gymnasium.
• Approved an application for the use of public school facilities and equipment to Lazarus Sykes and Rev. Danny Gladney for the General Progressive Baptist State Congress of Christian Workers June 6-8, at Okolona High School.
• Approved out-of-state travel for a Special Education trip to McWane Science Center in Birmingham, Ala., on April 13.
• Approved a fund-raiser request from Okolona Elementary to sell healthy snacks and t-shirts during field day to pay for incentive field trip (MAP test) for next school year.
• Approved School Board minutes of the last meetings March 6, 2017 and March 24, 2017.
• Approved the Proposed Budget Calendar for FY18.
• Approved increasing the budget amount by $2,015.29 to pay a Young Law Group invoice for services rendered in relation to the $49,929 Shortfall Note.
• Approved amending Food Service Budget for FY 16/17.
• Approved an external partnership agreement with FE Fleming Education Team LLC for consultative services and targeted technical assistance relative to the District’s Improvement Plan following cyclical monitoring visit at $1,300 per day for seven days totaling $9,100.
• Approved the MDE Salary Schedule for 2017-2018 school year.
• Approved advertisement for bus maintenance bids.
• Approved revised District Calendar for 2016-2017 school year.
• Approved the District Calendar for 2017-2018 school year.
• Approved Policy Code: IDDF Special Education Programs.
• Approved Policy Code: IHA Grading System for Extra-Credit for attendance to after-school and Saturday school programs.
• Approved Principal Action Plan Reports from Okolona High School- Dr. Hill; and Okolona Elementary- Mrs. Murray.
• Approved OHS, OVC, and OES monthly discipline reports
• Approved Superintendent Dexter Green’s Report including an April 2017 Newsletter, 3rd Nine Weeks District Cumulative Testing Data. He told trustees average daily attendance (ADA) for Okolona High School was 89.64; and ADA for Okolona Elementary was 93.55.
• Said a School Board Work Session was held on Monday, April 10, at 9 a.m. in the Parent Center. No action was taken during School Board Work Session. The following School Board trustees were present: Dr. Smith, Mr. Bailey, Dr. Gandy, Mrs. Head, and Mrs. Jenkins. The meeting adjourned at 12:03 p.m.
• Said a Special Called School Board meeting was scheduled for Friday, April 21, 2017 at 10 a.m. in the Parent Center.
• Said non-renewal proceedings are scheduled for Monday, April 24, 2017 at 9 a.m. in the Office of the Superintendent.
• Reviewed a Financial report with the Business Department Manager that included the Claims Docket, Current Budget Status, Reconciled Bank Statements, Statement of Revenues and Expenditures, Cash Flow Statement by Month, and Combined Balance Sheet.
• Said the next regularly called School Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 6 p.m. in the Okolona High School cafeteria and adjourned.