Have you noticed all the beautification projects going on around Itawamba County? From Keep Itawamba Beautiful netting 4.5 tons of garbage cleanup, new flowers being potted by the Itawamba Master Gardeners, to the sprucing up of storefronts through the ICDC Fixer Up small business grant, Itawamba is looking good in the neighborhood! The Lee Ann Shoppe has a nice new covered awning with brick planters, and they’re pumping music outside from throwback records that can be purchased inside. This has added such great ambiance while shopping in downtown. Hopefully our shoppers will shake it but not break it as they experience this delightful addition.
Porch Swing Pickings has added antique lanterns along the front of their business, bringing charm to the building and helping light the way for customers to the front door. L&L Screenprinting in Mantachie has added a bright blue awning across the front of their building to really capture the eyes of passersby and help them to stop on in to purchase a T-shirt, hats and more.
The ICDC building itself is also getting a much-needed face lift. New stone, smear, paint, and lighting have been completed. A main street front curtaining and much-anticipated Itawamba mural will be added in the coming weeks. Kit Stafford, using all of her talent, will be adding scenes from Itawamba on the parking lot side of the building. We are so excited to see this enhancement for downtown. We hope to draw visitors, students, family, and friends to take pictures and experience why Itawamba County is so special.
Lots of meetings have been taking place to help promote businesses through shopping events. May Market helped steer more customers to our local shops around the county, resulting in great deals and increased revenue. The winners of the punch card baskets for Fulton were: 1st Place, $275 Worth of Prizes – Lynne Stewart; 2nd Place, $200 Worth of Prizes – Sandra Newton; and 3rd Place, $125 Worth of Prizes- Melissa Frederick.
Thank you to everyone for coming out and helping sustain our Itawamba County businesses. Please look forward to our back to school shopping event during tax free weekend, July 25-27. Participating stores will have in-store deals, drawings for prizes, and activities for kids.
• June 1 – Dealers of Hope car wash from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. at Mantachie Town Hall
• June 7 – Summer Reading Program begins at Itawamba County Pratt Memorial Library
• June 8 – Candidate speaking at Banner Fire Department at 4 p.m.
• June 11 – Making Concrete Flower Pots with bath towels at MSU Extension 6 p.m.
• July 13 – Explore liquidations grand re-opening auction
• June 15 – First and Goal Car Show- 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Mantachie High School
• June 15 – Candidate speaking at Houston RCDC at 4 p.m.
• June 18-19 – Journey of Food at MSU Extension Service (TBA)
• June 18 – Large Pond Workshop at MSU Extension Service 6 p.m.
• June 22 – Candidate Speaking at Ryan’s Well RCDC at 4 p.m.