A good field guide book or a friend who is expert at foraging can help identify edible wild plants. Here are some resources:
- "Wildflowers of Mississippi" by S. Lee Timme, published in 1989 by the University Press of Mississippi, $22.95.
- "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" by Euel Gibbons, published in 1987 by ALHD, $14.95.
- "Stalking the Healthful Herbs" by Euel Gibbons, published in 1989 by ALHD, $14.95.
- "The Boy Scout Handbook," $6.45, is available from any Boy Scout Service Center and includes drawings and facts on gathering and eating wild plants. Two military books, if available, are also good references: "The U.S. Army Survival Guide" and "Great Living in Grubby Times" (the Green Berets' guide to outdoor survival).
- For free identification of a questionable wild plant, send a sample to Dr. Sidney McDaniel, Box EN, Mississippi State, MS 39762. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the response.