CATEGORY: LCN Bobby's Lee County articlesPEPPER

If you like spending a day on the farm with family and friends, not to mention a few horses, goats, pot-belly pigs and other animals, then the Sun Creek Stables is the place to be Saturday.

Sun Creek Stables the farm of Tim and Mary Ford on County Road 1836 northwest of Tupelo is hosting a Family Farm Day. There will be plenty of activities for everyone to enjoy starting with a fishing rodeo at 11 a.m.

And most of all, it's for a good cause.

The proceeds from the event will go to the American Cancer Society. It's a fundraising project organized by the North Mississippi Medical Center Home Health Care team that's participating in next month's Relay for Life at Ballard Park.

The Family Farm Day includes the following:

* The fishing rodeo from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. $50 prizes will be given to anyone who catches the most catfish, the heaviest string of fish and to those who catch any one of 10 marked catfish. Don't forget to bring your fishing pole and bait.

* A 16-event horse show at the stable's arena, starting at 2:30 p.m. Barrel racing and other speed events, as well as western pleasure events and games for the horses and riders, are scheduled. There will be an 80 percent payback to riders with the remaining 20 percent going to the Cancer Society.

* Northeast Community College's Campus Country band will make you feel at home on the farm with their country entertainment. Joe West, the "Cowboy Poet," will recite some of his country poetry. Kicker 99 Radio will set up a remote broadcast from the farm between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

* Plenty of activities for children and adults, which include a petting zoo, face painting, balloon art, a dunking booth, air castle, pony rides, hay rides, foot races and a cake walk.

* Meet and have your picture taken with interesting animals like "Norman" the cow, "Pete" the pet goat and the baby pot-belly pigs.

* Sign up for the drawing for your very own pot-belly pig.

* Plenty of food and drinks available from the concession stand on the grounds. Please, do not bring alcoholic beverages.

To enjoy all of this, the admission is $1 per person. There will be a $1 charge for each activity while the horse show has various entry fees depending on the event.

Debra Wofford Hill, one of Family Farm Day organizers, said the event has received support from many sponsors and volunteers who are donating their money, food, supplies, time and talents in order to help make it a success.

Among those helping out are the nurses on the 3-South unit at NMMC, who are adopting the children at Faith Haven shelter and taking them fishing. Also, the girls from Harden House in Fulton have volunteered to work on the farm as well. You can even get a free blood pressure check while on the farm.

If the rain holds off, Family Farm Day promises to be a fun day for country folks and city slickers alike.

To get to Sun Creek Stables, go west on McCullough Boulevard to Belden and take the first rightafter going under the U.S. 78 Highway overpass to County Road 183 and the Macedonia community. Go .6 miles to County Road 203 and turn right. Go another .6 miles to County Road 1836 and turn left. The farm is .2 miles on the left.

For more information, call 842-9702 or 680-3110.

Benefit for Tiffany Bone

Another fundraiser will take place Saturday morning for a 4-year-old Lee County girl who lost all four limbs to a bout with meningitis.

The fund-raiser, featuring gospel music, a bake sale, auction and food, will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday and will be held at the Woodmen of the World Lodge on County Road 261 off of Palmetto Road west of Verona.

Tiffany Bone, daughter of Donald and Tammie Bone, suffered from a form of meningitis that affected the circulation of blood into her limbs, said Judy Burleson, a friend of the family and an organizer of the event. As a result, Tiffany lost her arms below the elbow and her legs below the knees. She is listed in good condition at Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis.

The organizers hope to provide funds to help pay for the Bones' medical expenses

Burleson said barbecue plates, with a drink, will be sold for $7 a plate and barbecue sandwiches with chips will be $3.50.

For more information about the fundraiser call 844-4977.

Bobby Pepper is editor of the Lee County Neighbors section. If you have any news, give Bobby a call at 842-2612 or 678-1600. He welcomes your contributions.

Recommended for you

comments powered by Disqus