ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Fire Department spent several hours extinguishing a blaze that completely destroyed an unoccupied trailer at 611 Bennett St. and the contents within during the early morning hours July 6. Aberdeen Fire Chief Fred Hodges is confident the cause of the fire stemmed from kids shooting fireworks.
“When we got the call, it was falling in and it was pretty much gone,” he said, adding it took the most time for firefighters to extinguish the contents of the trailer.
The AFD got the call at 12:53 a.m. and worked on it until 6:25 a.m. Hodges said no one was inside the mobile home, and it’s unsure who owns it. It was being used to store items such as clothing.
Another unknown is who is responsible for shooting fireworks that led to the fire. He said the 911 call stated kids were shooting fireworks.
“Everybody had disappeared by the time we got there,” Hodges said, adding the mobile home was burning for a little while before the fire was reported.
Additionally, Hodges said the AFD responded to a dumpster fire July 4 at Southview Apartments, and he thinks it was caused by fireworks.
According to Aberdeen City Clerk Jackie Benson, the sale and use of fireworks is illegal within the city limits. Shooting fireworks is a misdemeanor that could carry a ticket not to exceed $100.
Hodges said even though the 4th of July holiday has passed, people still need to be aware of the danger of fireworks.
“A lot of kids don’t know the dangers, and they think it’s fun by throwing them at each other, but it could put an eye out. Parents should talk to their children about it. They could hit them right and set their clothes on fire,” he said.