ABERDEEN – The cause of the fire that destroyed an unoccupied house at 212 Franklin St. June 22 was ruled undetermined, according to Aberdeen Fire Chief Fred Hodges. He and the fire marshal examined the home last week, and it is believed the fire originated in the dining room area.
“We don’t suspect any foul play or arson. It could have been something electrical,” Hodges said.
The home’s previous occupants passed away in previous years, and it had been listed for sale. Hodges said, however, someone bought the home and was remodeling it.
Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 3:41 p.m., and the Aberdeen Fire Department returned to the station at 8:30 p.m. Cedar Creek Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid.
Hodges said the home had a basement, which made the fire worse.
“Once it got ventilated, it made the fire harder to put out. Air circulating from the bottom of the building fueled the fire,” he said.
Hodges added radiant heat from the blaze melted siding at the neighboring house and rubber on a camper next door.