The Tanglefoot Trail has been nominated to join the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Hall of Fame.
Other nominees are the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail in New Jersey and Glacial Drumlin State Trail in Wisconsin.
The winner will be determined based on online votes and the voting window is short, ending Wednesday, July 10. One may vote as often as he or she wants.
“This is huge,” Community Development Director Billye Jean Stroud said. “Please vote as many times as you can until the 10th of July. This is an unbelievable opportunity for the Tanglefoot Trail, for tourism and economic development in our beautiful town. Vote! Send this link to all of your friends and family. Let's go.”
Chosen for merits such as scenic value, high use, trail and trailside amenities, historical significance, excellence in management and maintenance of facility, community connections and geographic distribution—all three are Hall-of-Fame-worthy trails according to Rails-to-Trails officials.
Everyone is asked to encourage fellow trail fans to get involved by spreading the word on social media using #RailTrailHOF.
In 2007, RTC began recognizing exemplary rail-trails around the country through its Rail-Trail Hall of Fame. They select inductees on merits such as scenic value, high use, trail and trailside amenities, historical significance, excellence in management and maintenance of facility, community connections and geographic distribution.
Hall of Fame trails include:
- Great Allegheny Passage (Maryland/Pennsylvania)
- Katy Trail State Park (Missouri)
- Fred Marquis Pinellas Trail (Florida)
- Burke-Gilman Trail (Washington)
- Minuteman Commuter Bikeway (Massachusetts)
- Illinois Prairie Path (Illinois)
- Elroy-Sparta State Trail (Wisconsin)
- Bizz Johnson Trail (California)
- W&OD Trail (Virginia)
- Monon Trail (Indiana)
- Silver Comet (Georgia) and Chief Ladiga trails (Alabama)
- East Bay Bicycle Path (Rhode Island)
- Pere Marquette Rail-Trail of Michigan
- Little Miami Scenic Trail (Ohio)
- Paul Bunyan State Trail (Minnesota)
- Wabash Trace Nature Trail (Iowa)
- Prairie Spirit Rail Trail State Park (Kansas)
- Springwater Corridor (Oregon)
- High Line (New York)
- George S. Mickelson Trail (South Dakota)
- Prescott Peavine National Recreation Trail and Iron King Trail (Arizona)
- Longleaf Trace (Mississippi)
- Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and Route of the Hiawatha (Idaho)
- Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail State Park (Utah)
- Island Line Rail Trail (Vermont)
- Greenbrier River Trail (West Virginia)
- Virginia Creeper National Recreation Trail (Virginia)
- Heritage Rail Trail County Park (Pennsylvania) and Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail (Maryland)
- Midtown Greenway (Minnesota)
- Hudson Valley Trail Network (New York)
- Tammany Trace (Louisiana)
- Cardinal Greenway (Indiana)