CAYSON – No one was injured in a Friday morning fire that left a rental home in the Cayson community heavily damaged.
Volunteer firemen from Cayson, Evergreen-Carolina and Amory fire departments responded to the fire around 9:15 a.m. at 30322 Highway 371 in north Monroe County.
“The folks who live here had already left and gone to work,” said homeowner Billy Hood. “A passerby saw the fire and called it in.
“It looks like it was caused by a space heater. Them things are dangerous. You can’t just leave and leave them on.”
Firemen entering the house used a thermal imaging camera to quickly locate the fire in a back bedroom and contain it. Clothing caught on fire and was thrown out of the bedroom window. About an hour after the initial fire call, firemen went back inside with hoses to douse some still smoldering clothes.
The house suffered heavy smoke and water damage. The fire is still under investigation.