Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi Inc. would like to pass along these tips for a safe Halloween:
- Select Halloween costumes that display reflective material, or add reflective tape to various areas of the costume to help ensure that children are seen by oncoming motorists when they cross the street.
- Walk on the sidewalks, not in the street; look both ways before crossing the street and only cross at the corners.
- Instruct children to remove their masks before crossing the roadways so they can have a clear view. Try face painting instead of a mask.
- Plan your route and share it with your family. Never drop children off in a neighborhood for trick or treating unless they are in constant view of a supervising adult.
- Instruct children never to go inside a stranger's home. Always stay at the door. Only visit the homes with porch lights on.
- Try to avoid letting children carry fake knives, swords, guns or other costume accessories that can encourage aggressive behavior and possibly hurt others.
- Carry a flashlight, and stay away from open fire and candles.
- Have children avoid eating any of their treats until they get home.
- Check out all treats in a well-lighted area and permit the children to eat only treats in their original wrappers.
Anyone with information on a crime, the location of stolen property, illegal drugs or a fugitive from justice, is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-773-TIPS. Century Cellunet can dial *TIP. Crime Stoppers will pay the first correct caller up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest in this incident.