prentiss County

Fourth-grader brings

gun to school

BOONEVILLE - A Booneville fourth-grader was caught Tuesday with a gun at school.

According to Police Chief Larry Duncan, a 9-year-old at Anderson Elementary School brought a .9-mm gun to school, and the weapon was found in his backpack.

"At this time we're still investigating," Duncan said. "We're trying to see where we go from here."

Duncan declined comment on possible charges in the case. Because the student is a juvenile, no further information on him was released.

"There's never been a case like this at the elementary school," he said.

School officials could not be reached for comment late Tuesday.

lee county

Robbery suspects remain at large

Two suspects in the Monday evening strong arm robbery of a Tupelo business remain at large.

The incident occurred at Smoky J's of West Jackson Street, said Capt. Ronny Thomas, detective.

"Two black males came in on the pretense of making a purchase," Thomas said. "When she (clerk) opened the cash register to make change for them, one suspect struck her in the forehead with his hand, causing her to fall back."

The suspect then reached over the counter and took the cash drawer from the register, he said. The two men fled a short distance on foot, and left the scene in a small, dark car.

The first suspect is described as approximately 6 feet 1 inch tall, in his late 20s, with a slim build and a goatee. The second suspect is approximately 5 feet 11 inches tall, in his late 20s and with a stocky build.

Any information on the robbery can be reported to the Tupelo police at 841-6546, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-773-TIPS.

oktibbeha county

Alderman undergoes bypass surgery

STARKVILLE - Starkville Alderman P.C. McLaurin is in a hospital following quadruple-bypass surgery.

McLaurin, 59, suffered a mild heart attack Sunday, doctors said.

Prentiss McLaurin, P.C. McLaurin's son, said bypass surgery was being performed Tuesday at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Doctors were attempting to clear a blockage.

"I think it was the mild heart attack on Sunday that brought him in and they found it," Prentiss McLaurin said. "But for right now, we are taking it one step at a time."

Recommended for you

comments powered by Disqus