HED:Area school districts to celebrate success
Five Northeast Mississippi schools will be marking their Level 5 accreditation status with celebrations planned during the next two weeks.
In the past, the state sponsored a dinner in Jackson to recognize the top-performing school districts. This year, the state provided $1,000 in expense money for schools to be able to plan their own ceremonies.
Some districts are planning receptions that are open to the public, while others are conducting invitation-only dinners to recognize students and staff.
At each ceremony, state board of education members will attend to present district officials with a banner commemorating their Level 5 status.
Pontotoc City Schools was one of the first to be recognized, having hosted a dinner and reception Oct. 27. Ceremonies planned for other districts include:
- Corinth: Nov. 5, 5-7 p.m. at the Corinth High School Commons, a come-and-go reception that is open to the public.
- Tupelo: Nov. 10, 3-5 p.m. at the Hancock Leadership Center, a come-and-go reception that is open to the public.
- Oxford: Nov. 12, 6-8 p.m. at the Oxford High School auditorium and commons, a reception that is open to the public.
- Booneville: Nov. 12, 6:30 p.m. at Northeast Mississippi Community College, an invitation-only dinner.
- Pontotoc County: Nov. 12, 6:30 p.m. at the North Pontotoc Attendance Center, an invitation-only dinner.