HED:Focus: Lift, Inc.
By Eileen Bailey
- Year organized: 1965; United Way member since 1970.
- People served: Low-income individuals in eight counties.
- Annual budget: $6 million.
- United Way Contribution: $72,370.
- Director: Randy Collums.
- Purpose: "Lift, Inc. a private nonprofit community action agency, services the counties of Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc, Union, Chickasaw, Calhoun, Lafayette and Itawamba. The agency was chartered in 1965 to offer low income individuals an opportunity for education and training, opportunity to work and the opportunity to live in decency and dignity as envisioned under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964.
The agency administers 10 programs designed to meet the needs of the disadvantaged. The major goal is to look at the whole person in order to organize and link family/individual services. Coordination and involvement of the family/individual in the goal setting process enables the family to take a responsible approach to self-sufficiency and/or stabilization."