Mississippi State will play Wake Forest in the Music City Bowl in Nashville on Dec. 30. The matchup was announced Sunday evening.
Both teams are 6-6 on the season. This will be the first meeting between the schools in football.
The Music City Bowl will kick off at 5:40 p.m. Central time at LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, and will be shown on ESPN. The on-air talent for the game will be Mark Jones play-by-play, Ed Cunningham analyst, and Jeannine Edwards sideline.
This is MSU's second consecutive bowl appearance; it beat Michigan in last season's Gator Bowl, 52-14. It's the Bulldogs' first consecutive bowl game bids since 1999-2000. They are 8-6 all-time in bowl games and have won their last four.
"Making a bowl game has really kind of made it a great season," MSU coach Dan Mullen said. "Obviously winning a bowl game will push it over the top and give us great momentum going into the offseason."
State is 8-20-1 against ACC schools.
MSU begins bowl practices on Friday, and the first week of them will be open to the public. As for tickets, MSU has already sold out its allotment of 12,000, so fans wishing to attend the game must visit ticketmaster.com/MusicCityBowl or call 1-800-745-3000.
Here's a quick primer on the Demon Deacons.
• Record: 6-6 (5-3 ACC, T-2nd Atlantic Division)
• Key wins: N.C. State (34-27), Boston College (27-19), Florida State (35-30)
• Last game: Lost 41-7 to Vanderbilt
• Stat leaders: QB Tanner Price 229-376-6, 2,803 yards, 20 TDs; RB Brandon Pendergrass 164-750, 8 TDs; WR Chris Givens 74-1,276, 9 TDs; SS Syhl Quarles 96 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries; OLB Kyle Wilber 65 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks; NG Nikita Whitlock 58 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 3.0 sacks; FS Josh Bush 56 tackles, 6 INTs.
• Team stats:
–Total offense, 374.5 ypg (76th nation, 9th ACC)
–Rushing offense, 118.9 ypg (96th, 9th)
–Passing offense, 255.6 ypg (36th, 4th)
–Scoring offense, 26.8 ppg (62nd, 7th)
–Total defense, 399.1 ypg (75th, 10th)
–Rushing defense, 162.9 ypg (T-70th, 8th)
–Passing defense, 236.2 ypg (71st, 8th)
–Scoring defense, 27.8 ppg (70th, 10th)
• Coach: Jim Grobe (68-66, 11th season).
• Rankings: Wake Forest hasn't been ranked since 2008. The Demon Deacons began the season 4-1 but have lost four of their last five.
• Bowl history: Wake Forest is 6-3 all-time in bowls, its most recent appearance being in the 2008 EagleBank Bowl (a 29-19 win over Navy). The Deacons are 1-1 versus SEC teams in bowl games, beating South Carolina in the 1946 Gator Bowl and losing to LSU in the 1979 Tangerine Bowl.