A few notes heading into today’s SEC Tournament championship game …
- Ole Miss and Vanderbilt will start at 2, and the game will air on ESPN2.
- Regional sites are announced tonight at 7:30 at NCAA.com and through the NCAA’s social media outlets.
- The Rebels had 11 hits in Saturday’s 5-3 semifinal win against Georgia. That lifts their tournament batting average from .180 to .229.
- Thomas Dillard (7-18) is the Rebels’ leading hitter here at .389.
- Grae Kessinger, once 0-10, is now 4-17 (.235).
- Cole Zabowski is 6-19 (.315).
- Anthony Servideo and Ryan Olenek are both 4-14 (.285).
- Cooper Johnson is 1-15 (.066).
- Tyler Keenan is 2-17 (.117).
- Ole Miss pitching has allowed 11 earned runs in 36 innings for a tournament ERA of 2.75.
- The Ole Miss bullpen – with big outs against Georgia from seldom-used relievers Max Cioffi, Connor Green and Kaleb Hill – has allowed 1 earned run in 12 1/3 innings for a 0.73 ERA. Think about the bullpen at the close of the regular season and chew on that a bit.
- Parker Caracci has not allowed an earned run in 3 1/3 innings over three appearances. He also has allowed at least one baserunner in each appearance.
It took Caracci three weeks to acquire saves six, seven and eight. Now he has three in three days and 11 for the season.
- Counting this run Mike Bianco is 32-27 in SEC Tournament games with championships in 2006 and 2018 and runner-up finishes to Mississippi State in 2005 and LSU in 2008.
- Ole Miss defeated Vanderbilt 9-3 in the 2006 tournament championship game. Craig Rodriguez was the winning pitcher in the title game to improve to 4-3 on the year. Mark Wright was the tournament MVP. Other Ole Miss players on the all-tournament team were C.J. Ketchum, Justin Henry and Alex Presley.
- SEC West teams don’t face every SEC East team every season, so Ole Miss and Vanderbilt are semi-regular opponents.
Bianco is 27-21 against Vanderbilt.
Ole Miss has won two of the last three series. The Rebels won twice in Nashville in 2015 when Vanderbilt was ranked No. 1 and won twice in Oxford in 2017.
Last season in Nashville Ole Miss won the opener 11-3 then lost two one-run games, both 8-7, in one of those doubleheaders with two seven-inning games that never seem to end well for the Rebels.
Ole Miss is 6-4 in the last 10 against Vanderbilt.