Mississippi State has become a fixture in the top 25 team recruiting rankings in recent years. Joe Moorhead has done nothing to slow the momentum Dan Mullen left behind in that area. In fact, it could be said that Moorhead improved the staff overall.
Either way, the Bulldogs are nearing the end of June with some 21 commitments. They plan to take the full 25, and the targets they have on the board could improve their 15th overall ranking among all programs as far as 2020 classes go.
Here's what you need to know about Mississippi State's haul thus far:
- Four of the top prospects in Mississippi committed to the Dogs in June. That includes Philadelphia's Tulu Griffin, Greenville's Dillon Johnson, Horn Lake's Jakivuan Brown and Batesville's Janari Dean.
- Two-thirds of MSU's class - 14 of 21 - is comprised of in-state prospects.
- That includes 7 commitments (3 WRs, 3 DL, 1 OL) from the junior college ranks, as the Bulldogs try to get a bit older.
- It comes as no surprise, but Mississippi State is again excelling when it comes to grabbing up impact defenders from Mississippi. Dean, Brown and Grenada's Emmanuel Forbes come to mind first.
- MSU could have once again struck NFL talent from Houston in the form of under-the-radar offensive lineman Calvin McMillian. His size and strength are off the charts, yet no one seems to be hyping up his potential. Yet. But, it took a minute for folks to wake up on Chris Jones, too, after all.
- Current Class Ranking (according to 247sports composite): National - 15 | SEC - 8
- Top Commits: Jo'Quavious Marks (RB - Atlanta, GA), Tulu Griffin (WR - Philadelphia, MS), Dillon Johnson (RB - Greenville, MS), Janari Dean (DB - Batesville, MS) and Jakivuan Brown (LB - Horn Lake, MS).
- Most Important Commitment: Will Rogers (Brandon, MS) - A polished passer, a well-versed football mind with a coach for a dad and a live arm. What's not to like about Rogers? He's also proven to be a strong voice and solid recruiter for the class. All the things you want from your signal caller.
- Top Sleeper Commits: Calvin McMillian and Emmanuel Forbes. McMillian has a body that just screams NFL potential and he's talented enough to be molded into a pro. Forbes brings tremendous length and ball skills to the edge of one side of any secondary he's a part of.
- Top Remaining Targets: McKinnley Jackson (DL - Lucedale, MS), Jordan Davis (DL - Co-Lin CC - by way of Memphis, TN), Marcus Henderson (OL - Memphis, TN), Eli Acker (OL - Columbus, MS) and Malik Heath (WR - Co-Lin CC by way of Jackson, MS).
- Commitments by Position: QB - 1 | RB - 2 | WR/TE - 4 | OL - 3 | DL - 5 | LB - 2 | DB -4
Be sure to follow @DJdoublecover on Twitter and Facebook for the latest Mississippi State recruiting news.