Adding an early national signing day to college football has certainly sped the recruiting calendar. That was evidenced by the run of 15 commitments Matt Luke and staff put together in June.
As the summer months drag on, it's a great time to look at the things we know about Ole Miss' 2020 recruiting haul to this point:
- As previously mentioned, June has been special for the Rebels. They've picked up not only 15 commitments (bringing their total to 20 for '20), but all four of their four-star commitments this month.
- The class has 9 in-state commits thus far, with those of those being Mississippi natives currently playing at Jones College.
- This year, Ole Miss put an emphasis on getting prospects on campus to compete in their summer camps. Many of those evals led to offers and subsequent commitments. Kentrel Bullock, of Columbia, and An'Darius Coffee, of Winona, are just a pair of examples of that trend.
- The number of Mississippi-born prospects on the list (actually 10, because DeSanto Rollins of Baton Rouge, LA, is actually a Natchez native) jumps out. And the Rebels aren't done fishing in local waters just yet, either.
- A new 3-4 scheme, and plenty of new faces on the defensive staff, seems to have led to an improvement with linebacker recruiting. Sure, the Rebels need more of those now, but they're getting impact guys like Austin Keys and De'Rickey Wright.
- Current Class Ranking (according to 247sports composite): National - 14th | SEC - 7th
- Top Commits: Josaih Hayes (Horn Lake, MS), Eric Reed Jr. (Shreveport, LA), Robby Ashford (Hoover, AL), Eli Acker (Columbus, MS) and Kris Abrams-Draine (Spanish Fort, AL).
- Most Important Commit: Austin Keys (Seminary, MS) - First off, Keys is a LB that can lead and roam from the mike spot. He could be wind up as the impact guy at that spot Rebel fans have longed for. Plus, he's an in-state prospect that seems to be adept at rallying his peers together.
- Top Sleeper Commits: Austin Keys and Kentrel Bullock. Keys is much better than recruiting sites credit him for, and he's still improving at a rapid rate. Bullock blossomed in front of Rebel coaches at camp this month, since committing he's picked up offers from half of the SEC.
- Top Remaining Targets: McKinnley Jackson (DL - Lucedale, MS), JJ Pegues (ATH - Oxford, MS), Omari Thomas (DL - Memphis, TN), Jakivuan Brown (LB - Horn Lake, MS)* and De'Arre McDonald (DB - Murphreesboro, TN). *-MSU commitment
- Commitments by Position: QB - 1 | RB - 2 | WR/TE - 3 | OL - 4 | DL - 2 | LB - 5 | DB - 3
Be sure to follow @DJdoublecover on Twitter and Facebook for the latest Ole Miss recruiting news.