Ole Miss will welcome three teams to town this weekend as part of the 2019 Oxford baseball regional.
It is the second year in a row the program has hosted a regional, and the ninth time since Mike Bianco took over as head coach in 2000.
Illinois Fighting Illini (36-19, 15-9) -
- This is the program's first NCAAT appearance since 2015. That team won 50 games in addition to compiling a 21-1 conference record.
- No players on the roster have played in an NCAAT game.
- Starting pitchers: Andy Fisher (7-1, 2.57 ERA); Ty Weber (4-2, 2.97 ERA); Cyrillo Watson (5-2, 3.65 ERA).
- The Fighting Illini are 18-15 away from home this season.
Clemson Tigers (34-24, 15-15) -
- Made regional 32 of the previous 33 seasons. From 2000 - 2010, Clemson advanced beyond regional play eight times.
- In a similar end to the season as Ole Miss, the Tigers were rounding off a 3-12 stretch at the end of the first week of May. They finished 6-4.
- Starting pitchers: Mat Clark (9-2, 2.84 ERA); Davis Sharpe (6-4, 3.48 ERA).
- The Tigers are 12-11 away from home this season.
Jacksonville State (37-21, 22-8) -
- The Gamecocks enter the NCAAT winners of 16 of their last 17 contests, including 12 straight.
- The last time the program made the NCAAT was in 2014, when they also competed in the Oxford regional.
- Garrett Farmer is the ace of the pitching staff, and will face the host Rebels on Friday. He is 5-1 with 104 strikeouts to just 12 walks, and an earned run average of 2.24, in 100.2 innings of work this season.
- JSU is 17-10 away from home this season.
Game 1 (Friday, May 31 - 3 p.m.) - Illinois vs. Clemson (ESPNU)
Game 2 (Friday, May 31 - 7 p.m.) - Jacksonville State vs. Ole Miss (ESPN3)
Game 3 (Saturday, June 1 - TBD) - Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser
Game 4 (Saturday, June 1 - TBD) - Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner
Game 5 (Sunday, June 2 - TBD) - Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Loser
Game 6 (Sunday, June 2 - TBD) - Game 5 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner
Game 7 (Monday, June 3 - TBD) - Game 6 Winner vs. Game 6 Loser (If necessary)
The Oxford regional is paired with the Fayetteville regional once respective winners move on to the super regional round. Here's how things look over in Arkansas:
#1 Arkansas Razorbacks (41-17, 20-10)
#2 California Golden Bears (32-18, 17-11)
#3 TCU Horned Frogs (32-26, 11-13)
#4 Central Connecticut Blue Devils (30-21, 16-8)
How to follow along
TV: FRIDAY - Illinois vs. Clemson will air on ESPNU | Ole Miss vs. Jacksonville State will air on ESPN3
SATURDAY - MONDAY - TBD